"Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Take A Kid Fishing

My boys are 26 and 24, both are still avid fishermen.  The younger one fishes both fresh and salt, the older is primarily fresh.  During the summer months, I'll get home from work to find my aluminum boat or canoe or both gone.  I'll end up fishing from shore!  My wife and I started fishing with the kids at a very young age, the younger one was still in his Kanga-rockerroo (sp.).  The boys wanted to cast their own lines at one point.  We would let them cast out a bobber, with no hook, too dangerous.

Bobby (my baby) had a fascination with fish, while still in diapers.  We would get a couple dozen shiners for us and a dozen for Bob to play with.  When Bob's shiners were all dead, it was time to go home.  As they got older, so did the experiences, snapping turtles, black racers, ducks, salamanders, etc. etc. etc.  The boys still talk of the memories they have of fishing, the shiner still on the hook that was stuck in Bryan's scalp!

My newest fishing buddies are my nieces.  We dig worms before fishing, make sure we have enough hooks and bobbers, and everyone brings a small trash bag.  Rules for fishing with Uncle Scott:
  1. Have Fun!!
  2. Explore
  3. Have Fun
  4. Catch Fish (sunfish are plentiful and keep kids excited about the action)
  5. Have Fun
  6. Take more trash out than you bring in.
I have a couple of new fishing buddies that are very excited to get into hunting with me.  They have one excited Uncle that wants to take them.





2 comments: