"Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Whats Wrong With This Picture

I just looked at the last picture I posted and was amazed at my carelessness.  Just to be fair, I was just giving Caitlain (my niece) a ride in the driveway.  To my credit, I did make her put on a helmet.





Now, I look back at this and think, she should have put on boots too, I cringe when I see the flip-flops.  Maybe longer pants and not capris, is capris right?  I raised two boys, we only had pants or shorts, if they were in between, it meant you outgrew them.  A long sleeve shirt would be nice, a real helmet and not that little atv one she's wearing, maybe some leather gloves and eye protection.

As for me, I really don't want to get into it.  Looks like I just came from a PETA meeting, no leathers at all,  sneakers, Massachusetts approved helmet, etc. etc. etc.  If I get hurt, it's my own damn fault, but I will pay much more attention to my little passengers next time.

My wife got her motorcycle license recently.  I had her go to a safety class rather than teach her myself.  I have been riding some type of motorcycle since the training wheels came off my bicycle, so I have developed some ugly, bad habits on  a bike.  My wife came home from the first day of class and asked if I knew how to turn a bike?  I have never eaten a guard rail, so I must.  She then went on to explain how to steer a bike to me, I have been screwed up ever since!!  Too much thinking!!  Push, pull, left, right, what the hell?  YOU JUST RIDE!  Our first ride together, I was a mess.  I let her lead, "go at your own pace, I'll just follow along, it's all good."  Yeah, not all good.  Maybe for her it was, but following behind was rough.  Good thing we didn't have those communicating head sets, "slow down, move over a little more, slow down, watch the car in the intersection, slow down, street light, slow down, pedestrian, slow down."   Did I mention my wife raced before I met her.  Not 2 wheels but 4 wheels, racing non the less.


From personal experience, I know what damage you can do to your body and how much pain you can have when you crash.  I guess I just don't want to see her have to go through the same things I did.  Do as I say, not as I do!!

Life can be pretty funny at times and not so funny other times.

No comments:

Post a Comment